Monday, July 18, 2005

students and religion

Last night I got a message from my main student, who has started a 30 day bible study through her church. As part of it, she is on a 21 day media fast, whic means no tv, no internet, and no music, except for christian or instrumental. This is all I know. However, the music issue raises a big red flag. I think it's hypocritical to tell someone not to listen to anything else, but they can listen to christian music. What is the point of this then? To make sure the only thing going in is what you want them to believe? Really makes me wonder. Also, she said they have a book to read, which also worries me. Of course this is her choice, but I can't help but distrust a book that is these kids only real input for a month. People are getting so good and figuring out just the right things to say to people so they'll keep swallowing the lies, and do it happily. I also dislike that I had zero warning of this. For one, we had just, literally just, started a walking meditation program, so she can meditate without some of the issues that come with sitting meditation (her seeing visions and such), because she was just not meditating before. Also, she was taking the spirituality course already, and now she's not going to finish the course for a while. This may be a good thing, who knows. I know I need to trust her, and hope that her connection to the universe will allow her to question on some level the things she's being told now. And who knows, maybe it's not as bad as I'm imagining...but it's hard to not worry. Hopefully without the tv and internet she'll spend more time meditating, and continue with what we've been working on. I hate to say, but part of me hopes things get too tough and she goes online anyway. The problem is she doesn't have anyone offline to talk to about a lot of the issues she's dealing with. What if she gets angry and loses control of her abilities? But all of this is just fear. And this is her life, her path...hopefully she'll stay on the path that's best for her to learn who she really is.

You know, this crap wouldn't happen if religions didn't think they had all the answers and the only way to heaven...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|