Wednesday, June 29, 2005

critters

Last night was critter night at the Hills of Chevy Chase. Carrie and I were going to go swimming (which was all cloudy so we didn't swim :-( but I digress) On the way I saw a racoon, and another small furry critter, which climbed a tree as we approached. So we walked around the building rather than disturb the racoons because I simply don't believe in disturbing animals unnecessarily. As we get on the bridge over the stream I see a big opossom to the right! It was funny to see all these critters within a minute. On the way back to the apartment we saw the racoons again coming up from the stream. The baby was so cute! Just a ball of fur. But I worried, because usually racoons have more than just one baby. So I decided to give them a helping hand and made them jelly bread and put it down on the rocks before the culvert under the parking lot. Carrie suggested the jelly so they'd find it quicker. It seems to have worked since it was completely gone 3 hours later when we ran to the gas station. Yes, I know it's not good to feed wild animals, but I figure if I can feed them something I know that won't hurt them, that reduces the amount of stuff they have to forage that may not be safe. And with scavengers you aren't making them dependent on you, because they're following their normal behavior. And I don't do this often, just when I see them occasionally. But I feel better for helping. I don't honestly know how they survive in a city anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|