Sunday, January 02, 2005

Completely cruel

Today we went to the University of Texas vs Rutgers women's basketball game. It was a sloppy game, very low scoring and not typical January basketball. In the end Texas lost, which is always a bit sad, but then something suprising happened. The whole team stood at center court and was force to sing with the crowd "The eyes of Texas". For those who don't know, the song is:
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live-long day.
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them,
At night or early in the morn.
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
Till Gabriel blows his horn.

Ok, so now imagine you just lost a basketball game, and had to hear this song. How cruel?! I mean this just shocked me. It's just a game people! To humiliate these kids...it's terrible. I know I'm making this sound really bad, but it really amazed me. How do you do this to someone? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the tradition, but it seemed really mean spirited. Granted the crowd didn't feel mean spirited about it, but those kids looked terrible. Is this really necessary in this day and age? I mean seriously...it's just a game!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|