Monday, August 29, 2005

Scary Chick-Fil-A

I'm starting to remember all the things I wanted to pass along from the past week.

I think it was on thursday when we drove to north austin to run errands. We enjoyed the beautiful drive of 2222 west, all the trees and rocks and elevation changes. We were both reminded of california driving to san diego. It would have been awesome to drive that in a sports car though :-) The reason we drove 2222 was to pick up some stuff in Steiner Ranch, which is an intersting planned community. Very pretty, and not as scary as I would imagine a planned community to be. The houses didn't all look the same, it wasn't solid houses like subdivisions can be, and you could see Lake Travis which was quite beautiful. I guess if you choose to live in a community, it wouldn't be a bad way to go, though I'd still prefer land out of the city.

On our way home we took loop 360, which is a very long way home, but I didn't want to backtrack. We stopped at Chick-Fil-A in Beecaves (I think that's what it's called). After a minute of sitting down Carrie realized they were playing Christian music on the radio, which was odd. It wasn't bad, but unexpected. I got up at some point, don't even remember why, but I fel really uncomfortable. I realized we were surrounded by people in Jesus freak shirts like "I'm a warrior of God" and stuff. We both just ate as quickly as we could and got the hell out of there. I've never felt so uncomfortable in a regular fast food restaurant. It literally made my stomach churn, I really don't think we were welcome there. Thankfully we were soon gone and back in Austin proper. But it was a wierd experience, especially considering we didn't see any churches or schools nearby. Very bizarre...

So if you're queer, don't go to Chick-Fil-A in Beecaves.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI...Chik Fil A is known for its Christian ways. The owner of Chik Fil A is a christian and the restraunt is not open on Sundays for that reason. I am sure that is also why it was playing Christian music and had Christian people in it. The weird feeling you were having was probably your own concious telling you that YOU are paranoid around Christians...not vice versa. You know deep down inside that it is a sin to be a homosexual. "US" true christians still love you anyways no matter if you are gay or not. I sin everyday and I am still a christian. But I ask of one favor from you .... don't say anything when people bash you for being gay or "queer" as you would say if you are sitting their bashing Christians for simply sitting in Chik-Fil-A...wearing what they want...and eating...just like everyone else. They didn't bother you one bit. It's called equality...you treat others as YOU would like to be treated.

Jesus Rules!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jaxson said...

You can believe whatever you choose to believe. But it doesn't change universal truth. Sin is a manmade concept, just like religion and morality. There is not an ounce of doubt in my mind that I am not sinning when it comes to who I am. I know it deep in my heart and have had that knowledge reinforced by God. So don't tell me what I know or don't know in my heart. My eyes are wide open, are yours?

And when everyone in the store keeps looking at you, when all you're doing is eating your sandwhich, that is not paranoia. And what we felt was not imagination, but empathy, which is a skill of feeling what others feel. That was not acceptance, but various forms of judgment and wishing we would leave.

You weren't there, so you have no way of knowing. This was our experience, as it happened. Now please, don't come to my blog telling me that there's something wrong with me. It's rude and inappropriate.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|