Saturday, July 30, 2005

discovering root issues

It's funny how you can know things, and yet not know them, until one day they jump up and smack you upside the head so you pay attention.

I've been on this Jedi Realist path for 3 years now. In that time I've learned a lot, mostly about mindfulness and consciously choosing what I do. Granted that doesn't mean I do it all the time, but I know that I should. And even when I'm not consciouly choosing my life, I know my subconscious is doing it. I am not a victim, I am a creator.

So lately I've been more and more aware of my two interrelated issues. The first is impatience. I rush into decisions or actions and that's not a good thing. It still tends to work out alright, but the outcome could have improved had I waited. This impatience affects my other main issue which is emotions. I allow my emotions to color my actions, which is not useful. I'm not saying emotions are bad, but the goal is to acknowledge the emotions, and then let them go so you can see a situation from a place of centered calm. Then you're seeing clearly, rather than letting emotions create blind spots. Right now I acknowledge the emotions, but I get impatient and don't fully let them go, thus they are affecting my actions.

Normally, I don't look to the the star wars universe for much, because I can find what I need in nonfiction. However, I've been entertaining myself with the Jedi Apprentice series and find it really useful. What it's made me realize is just how slow the solo method can be. When you have a person in your life to mentor you, they can give you that reminder to release your emotions. They can see when you are acting from them and intercept. Thus you learn much faster than if you have to see them on your own. However, since I don't have that, it means I need to focus that much harder on my goals.

No one can be mindful for you...but it sure helps to have a reminder around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|