Saturday, December 10, 2005

Where did jazz go?

I'm not talking about this crap they play on radio stations that sounds like elevator music, with more electronics than electronica. I'm talking big bands, combos, no electricity (besides mics and bass/guitar amps), and standards. Where did it go? I loved, seriously loved playing big band. My summers spent at Birch Creek were the most amazing times of my life, still. But where do kids go once they leve high school and camp? Where can they play? I really want to know where jazz is hiding, because I want it back.

I've been listening to jazz all week since I've been studying for finals. I don't have a good collection, unfortunately, but what I have is damn good. My playlist includes some of the greatest big bands like Count Basie, who swung so damn hard you kept moving during the ballads, Stan Kenton, who's song Malaguena is described by my friend as "a fist made out of brass instruments punching you right in the face. only in a good way!". And then a healthy mix of Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis (before he went wacko in the 80's), Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane (including some of the way out there stuff). There are so many songs in this playlist that I've played, either on bass or drums. And even the songs I don't know at all, I just love them. I don't know what it is about jazz that I enjoy so much more than other genres, but there's no replacing it. I mean, how do you compare any rock song to jazz?! You can't, it's just a different thing. And don't get me wrong, I like my other genres, but they don't reach inside me like this does as a general rule.

I guess I'm just lamenting the inability for me to hear good jazz live. You get soooo spoiled at birch creek, the pros are so amazing. And as a student you learn so much it's sick. Living jazz from 8 am to 10pm some nights you can't help but learn a lot. And not just about jazz, but life. Oh the things I learned about people lol

So if anyone knows where jazz is hiding, let me know, because I miss it terribly. I'm even starting to think that when I'm finally settled someplace I'll start to put out word that I want to form a community big band. We may suck, but we'll have fun while sucking! :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|