Friday, November 25, 2005

To the anti-military recruiters

There's this whole anti-recruiter movement, especially on campus. I understand their point in a way. Their motto is books not guns. Basically that kids should be in college and not in the military and at war. I wonder if their concern is really for the people though. This is why.

Having been in the military, there are different groups of people. A vast majority of enlisted are poor or lower middle class. These are not people that were going to college anyway either for money or education reasons. If it weren't for the military they would be working a dead end job that in the end was meaningless. The military, therefore, provides a way out of their down, out of their dead end life, and into a family (hopefully) and a way to make a difference in the world (hopefully).

Then there are those who basically had the choice of military or jail. Now this isn't always a good idea either, but either they shape up or end up doing something stupid to send them to the brig. At least they are given a chance to go somewhere with their life this way. One example is Doc Therin (spelling is wrong I bet) who was in the Navy instead of going to jail. He was a corpsman, and going to college in his spare time to get his medical degree. The military gave him the chance to go to school and provide for his son. Jail certainly wouldn't have done that.

Then there are people like me. People who for one reason or another always wanted to be in the military. I went to a year of college, found it boring. It just wasn't where i needed to be at the time. No, I didn't know exactly everything before going in, but it was a decision I made, on my own. No one forced me, and no one convinced me.

So perhaps I'm more of the person these people are worrying about, those that are in college and leave for the military. The thing is, if you're in college, you're a somewhat intelligent person. The decision to leave college for military shouldn't be done lightly. But, I don't agree that anyone needs a group of college kids acting like a parent telling recruiters to stay away. What do these people know anyway? How do they know that college is really best for a person? Last time I checked a college degree doesn't guarantee anything, especially in Austin. Maybe the military is exactly where a person needs to be at that point in their life. I think it's highly arrogant to assume you know what's best for an individual.

Yes, I think there are recruiters who lie and really work kids to join. And there are some that really don't know what they're getting into. But, these are usually the poorest of the poor. What other option do they have? If you want the military to not be an option, find another one. Give these people another opportunity, because until there is one, the military is the best place to go. You are given everything you need to live. Yes, you may have to go to war, and that sucks. People need to know that before they sign up. But I think these anit-recruiter groups are selling people short in thinking they can't protect themselves from the predatory recruiters.

Who are these anti-recruiter people anyway? Seems to me like they're just some upper class kids who know nothing about struggle and survival. They have their ideals with no understanding of what those ideals mean to others. Most of the recruiters, I believe, are good guys just trying to do the best they can in a job that really sucks. But it's their job. And, if they're still in the military, they obviously think there's enough redeeming qualities to bring other people into service.

You don't have to agree with them. You don't have to join, but stop ragging on everyone who joins the military. We're not stupid. I don't think I met anyone in the military who got screwed completely. Also, it's up to the individuals to check facts a bit before signing on the line. We're all adults when we join. And those that aren't had to have parents who signed them in. If you don't want your kid joining the military, don't sign the papers. Make them wait until they're 18. Show them the other side of what the recruiters say. But don't put this all on the recruiters. It's a cop out. Personal responsibility is what everything comes down to. Try it sometime.

*note* I realize I have a somewhat tainted view since I came through the Marine Corps, and I hold them to a higher standard. I haven't run into anyone who is truly unhappy. I can't speak for the Army, which needs much higher numbers for enlistment, thus the recruiters are under greater pressure. In any case, my points still stand. If these people weren't getting something out of being in the military, they would be making a bigger noise about recruiting practices. But I think once you're in you let that go and just go with the flow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|