Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Helping in the freezing rain

Tonight winter has hit Texas. The rain started a bit before 5pm, so that by the time we left CiCi's there was already a good bit of ice on the car. I heard that between 5 and 9 pm there were 150 wrecks in the area. (remember to slow down for ice) However, we decided that blockbuster isn't very far away, so we decided to scrape off the car and give it a try, with the agreement that if the roads were slick we'd turn around. But, neither of us had a bad feeling, so we went for it.

It took quite a few minutes and half the plastic ice scraper to clean off the windows. (note to self, buy a metal scraper) One guy thought we were crazy to go out in the ice. "I just got in a big pile up" he says. I just answer "I'm from Wisconsin, I'm used to this stuff." I don't think he believed me, but I knew how to feel out the roads and wasn't worried. I did, however, thank him for his warning.

The roads were perfect the entire way to blockbuster. Unfortunately, they didn't have the movie Carrie wanted (the Skeleton Key will never be in, I've decided) When we leave the building I hear a familiar voice ask us for some change. I've give this man money on many an occasion, any time I have some on me. He's always grateful and polite, and he now remembers me. Tonight I gave him $5, because quite frankly, he needs it much more tonight.

I learned many things tonight. The Salvation Army does not hand out coats to the homeless until there have been three freezing nights. Three huh? Maybe they're trying to weed out the homeless population, because I can't think of a single good reason for that restriction. The stores in the strip mall pay him under the table to do odd jobs. For instance, night stocking, dusting, whatever they can have him do. It gets him out of the cold at nights, and gives him a little money. And there's the woman at Tiger Mart who has bought him socks, and a skull cap, just some little things to help him out. He also gets free hot chocolate. Tonight, some guy, with a wallet full of money gave him a beer. He declined, and the guy insisted, apparently not believing that the man didn't want beer but food and shelter. The young man gave him 2 beers and left. Bizarre...suprising how assumptions can be so persistent.

The man's name, I learned, is William Austin. He's a gulf war vet, and is homeless because he quit his job. In this economy, that appears to be a bad decision. But it was his decision, he understands that. William is a good guy. I don't doubt that he'll remember our names, as he remembers our faces. And I will certainly remember his.

And, to top all of this experience off, Carrie asked if she could give him her hoodie that she was wearing. All he had was one hoodie and a tshirt himself. How could I say no to her or him? He was beyond impressed, it's not often people give you the clothes off their back. I hope it helps him stay a little warmer tonight. And tomorrow, we will drive back and try to find him to give him an actual winter jacket. We have at least one carhart that should fit him and keep him much warmer. There's no reason why someone should have to wait three days in the freezing cold and rain before they are given appropriate clothing.

We learned one other thing from William tonight. He said he assumed we were bisexual or something (we sort of muttered because we're not bi, but we are gay, and that was his point) and he said we're black. He shared a conversation with his girlfriend April who said she wondered what it was like to be discriminated against. He said, "you should know, you're bisexual. You're black! If you've been discriminated against, you're black". There are many in the black community that would disagree, but I do agree with him. It's different and the same all at once. But it was still suprising to hear. But that's just another way we're the same, according to him. I think it's a way for him to connect to more people.

As we drove away, he waved to us from inside Albertson's where he was going to get some food and stock shelves. We waved back, because he's our friend now too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|