Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Rent

Oh my god, I could have sworn I blogged about this movie! lol, silly me. So friday night we went to see Rent at Alamo Lake Creek, because that was the only Alamo showing it. Apparently we can't see movies anywhere else now lol, we're totally spoiled. Where else can you get yummy chips and queso? :-)

Anyway, the movie...it's excellent. It stays true to the musical, even when it changes things a bit. For instance, the background of Joann is skipped, so that's a little odd. And Maureen and Joann's fight is in a completely different setting, but it's hilarious! The movie made us cry, a lot, which is a good sign. When someone can make you cry, even when you know what happens, then they did a good job.

I also think it's neat to see so many of the people who originated these roles. And the newcomers definately do it justice, so I didn't feel like anyone was 'wrong'. Rosario Dawson, a big kudos, she nailed Mimi.

Something I find interesting is comparing the original cast recordings to the movie versions of the same songs. Even though you have the same people, there can be some big differences in how they interpret the song 9 years later. Well, it's interesting to musical folks like myself lol. For instance, Without You is done a few steps lower in the movie than in the musical. I have no idea why, because Rosario clearly has the range. Maybe it will make sense after seeing it again. It may just set the mood differently. lol, maybe it will be explained in the special features of the dvd :-)

So, my final review is, excellent movie. Worth seeing, multiple times in fact. I want to go see it again, but I'll have to wait since we don't have the money. DVD now!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|