Sunday, October 16, 2005

What if nightmares don't exist?

I was talking to my friend Aaron today when I thought of something a bit important. What if nightmares don't exist? I mean real nightmares, not those 'naked in public' type of dreams, which I don't find that scary, but those scare you to your core dreams. These are the dreams I wake up from but can't remember, or can't explain except I felt very scared.

Why I say they don't exist is that we say that dreams are just our imaginations, our mind processing the day, or whatever. But I think the times that these things happen, true fear in sleep, that's when we're being attacked in some way. It could be a psychic attack from some random predator, and you're the unlucky victim. Or it could be a deliberate attack from someone you know. Perhaps it's just a wierd shift to some very negative energy that feeds the mind's fears. In any case, I think it's all real, more real than what we consider dreams to be.

How would this change our view, if we see nightmares as real attacks rather than our imagination? Perhaps those people with chronic night terrors could get the help and guidance they need to protect themselves, and gain peace of mind. Children wouldn't feel like they're ignored when they share their experiences. We wouldn't be squashing our gut instinct out of our kids that way.

Granted, I don't know if I'm right. But it makes sense for me at the moment. Based on my experiences, I think it's a working theory for now. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|