Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Torn

It's very hard sometimes to admire a person's writing, and disagree with their personal viewpoints. I just read the latest in the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card, Shadow of the Giant. The book was excellent, like all of the books in the series. The way he deals with politics and relationships just fascinates me. However, I'm always suprised by his personal beliefs that I don't really pick up on within his writing. He is an LDS member, conservative, and not for gay rights. I don't want to say anti-gay, because I'm not sure he's anti-people, but definately not for gay marriage. And that's disappointing to me. A man so intelligent, who really has to see relationships and people in order to write them so well, yet he can't get past his own religion. I guess it just shows how even the most genius of people can get stuck in religious ideas that seem to contradict themselves.

I don't want to sound judgemental...it really just makes me sad. However, I have a feeling I could still get along with him if I knew him. I've learned in the past few years that not all conservatives are idiots lol! But it's hard...I respect this man's writing so much, I devour a book in a day, and then visit his website and realize he is so different than what I expected. Sometimes more information is not a good thing in life...ignorance probably would have been bliss. At least I won't run my mouth about anything except the quality of his books since I know a little more of his beliefs. Though even now I feel like I'm putting my foot in my mouth just a bit. Eventually I might make sense or at least peace with this information. Until then, I'll just stick to his books.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: ignorance is bliss
sometimes you go online and find nice things though, and you get happier :)
-Leila

10:35 PM  
Blogger Jaxson said...

haha, quite true.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|