Sunday, April 24, 2005

movies

Yesterday we watched Finding Neverland for the first time. I definately understand why it was up for so many awards now. It's a wonderful story that I hope everyone gets to see at some point. What I enjoyed most was seeing how much of an impact you can have by encouraging children to play and be creative. Do we encourage creativity much anymore? It doesn't seem like it. We certainly don't value creativity in adults, at least not if it gets in the way of earning a living and being responsible. It's just as crucial for adults to have fun as it is for children. I know this, but I often limit my own ideas of having fun and being silly. Would I ever think of painting my face, wearing a silly hat, and carrying a duck? lol, no, but I might now! So freeing...

We also watched the special features disk of A League of Their Own, which was hilarious! That movie has always held a special place in my heart, because it's based on real people. It always makes me want to go out and play baseball, which I rarely do anymore. The other interesting aspect of the movie is the behind the scenes stories. The movie was filmed mostly in Evansville, Indiana, my wife's hometown. I've driven past Bosse Field many times, so it's neat to see it in a movie. Apparently Evansville is none to fond of Madonna because of this movie. My wife told me that she offended the town by saying there was nothing to do there. I just laugh, because she's so right! There's basically nothing to do. In a town of 130,000, there's nothing. At night you can go to a bar, or walmart. And since people wouldn't leave them alone the few times they went out, I can see how life could get really boring to someone used to more activity. But in any case, many people still hold a grudge, which is sad. I'm certainly glad we didn't stay in Evansville for more than a year, or we'd be sucked into the black hole that happens when people are forced to work crappy jobs for little pay and can't escape the cycle.

We also watched Ocean's 12, even though we never saw Ocean's 11. It's a good fun movie, with plenty of laughs. No life changing moments or anything, but sometimes a good laugh is all I want from a movie. I think it's worth renting, but then again I didn't pay to rent it lol! Now I need to get to my homework and grading. I need to avoid the stress out I had last week, which means work my butt off on the weekend. Blah...someday I won't have to do this! lol, and it will all be worth it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|