Monday, April 18, 2005

Decisions, decisions

I'm questioning my career path at the moment. I mean, I'm still interesting in fusion, but I don't think I'm a good fit for the group at UT. The guy I've been working for is definately not impressed with what I've done, and neither am I. I've been busting my ass, but not accomplishing much. Right now I'm pretty stuck, and have no idea where to go next. If I can't figure out this, how can I be worthwhile for them?

The other issue is that the professor is the most boring human being I've ever met. ok, maybe he isn't boring, but he has made no move to be personable at all. How am I supposed to know if I will be able to mesh if he is so closed off? I'm really questioning whether I want to work for him for 5 years...right now it sounds rather unpleasant. Especially when I know Dr. Bengtson is far more fun.

I've been in this type of situation once before, where I went for something that I thought was previously unavailable to me. When I was in high school I looked into the military and military academies, but felt I couldn't do it because I had asthma. So I went off to college, until I talked to some recruiters and realized I could just not tell anyone about my asthma and be fine. So I joined the Marines, and while some good things came out of it, things definately didn't turn out as planned. Well, with fusion I thought I couldn't work on it unless I went to Princeton or MIT. Then I talk to people in the department and learn there are people doing fusion, but they work on projects at MIT. So once again, something I thought unavailable to me becomes available, and it isn't going the best. Perhaps it would be best to learn from past situations and quit while I'm ahead. I just don't know how to deal with this tomorrow in my meeting...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck :)
i know how you feel.. but keep in mind that you can change your mind in a year or two if you are unhappy. but of course you shouldn't ignore your feelings that he is already a bad match.

i'm not that happy with my situation right now, but i'm hoping that the real test of it will be in the summer. for now i just feel too busy.

so how did your friday meeting go? are things still up in the air? it seems like you have to meet with him almost every day! :(

good luck! :)

leila

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog and I noticed your professors are Dr. This or Dr. That. I realized something. I got through my undergraduate and graduate years without having to call any of my professors Dr. Anything.

I was blessed. Truly blessed.

Well, almost. I paid for the honor. I attended private schools. Ouch!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|