Sunday, April 17, 2005

late night lessons

Driving to Taco Hell tonight I saw the homeless guy that is normally on my corner on a different corner. I felt sorry for him, having to ask for money at 10:30 at night. Then I realized how silly that was. I can't feel sorry for someone I have yet to give money to. Sorry doesn't help anything, so if I truly feel badly, I will help. I haven't helped in the past because he seemed drunk half the time, and I passed judgement. Yet it isn't my place to decide what this guy should do. I don't know how anyone else is using the money I give them either.

Every moment of every day we decide who we are going to be in that moment. We are constantly inventing ourselves through our choices, and these homeless people are opportunities to create ourselves every day. Perhaps we will never eradicate homelessness because there will always be people who need to learn a lesson through their existance. I know I learn something new all the time. For instance, the other day I gave a man some change and chatted with him. He seemed very excited to talk to someone, and I got to hear a cool story. It turns out he has a friend who is heading to Austin who did 3 tours in Vietnam, which always impresses me. Apparently this guy is pretty badass and got him out of a potential brawl in New Orleans. All this game up because I was wearing cammie pants and he asked if I was in the military. Since I was in the Marines he figured I knew some badass moves, and thus the story of his friend. Now the cutest thing, beyond his story, was he ran in front of my car and made the sign of the cross and appeared to bless or do a protection type spell. I was like, awww...that's so sweet! I'm pretty sure he would have done that even if I hadn't given him my 75 cents, because conversation can be more valuable than money some days. Remember that...

The path to mastery begins with consciously choosing who you are in every moment. Or is that simply mastery? lol, hmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|