Friday, April 22, 2005

Eddie Rodriguez's email response

Ms. Meyer-

Thank you for your e-mail about Talton's amendment to SB 6 that would
ban gays and lesbians from becoming foster parents.

I am disgusted and appalled by this amendment. Not only does this
amendment legislate hate towards homosexuals, it also harms many of
Texas' most vulnerable children. The state foster care system is
already overburdened, and it is abhorrent that legislators would claim
that it is in the best interest of children to deny them the opportunity
to be part of a safe and loving family.

There's still hope-I have had personal conversations with both the House
sponsor and liaison from the Governor's office about taking Talton's
amendment out of the bill. As it stands right now, both the House and
Senate sponsors do not want it on the bill. Even the Governor released
a statement saying it "is not how we should be spending our time and
money". My hope is that the conference committee will decide to leave
this amendment out of the final version of SB 6.

It would be a tragedy if gays and lesbians felt they had to leave Texas
in order to be treated with dignity and granted their basic civil
rights. Radical hate tactics such as Talton's amendment are an insult
to our great state and shame us before the nation and the world. This
amendment is against everything I stand for, and I will continue to
fight passionately on behalf of the gay and lesbian community.

Thank you for sharing your personal concerns with me. My staff and I
welcome you to contact my office if you have any additional comments or
questions.

Eddie Rodriguez
State Representative

1 Comments:

Blogger Lionmom said...

I agree that this was as positive of a response as you could probably get from a politician in TX.

Sorry if my blog is scary about fostering. You can also foster kids with lower levels of care, i.e., less obvious challenges.

Would love to talk more.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|