Monday, December 27, 2004

SS102: Dialogue: Distorted Perception and Objectivity

SS102: Dialogue: Distorted Perception and Objectivity

It's interesting to look at this after being on my path for a few years. I used to be the judgemental one, quick to point out other people's flaws but hating anyone to see my own. This brought about hatred as a teenager because I seemed perfect. I knew I wasn't, and was frustrated that people thought that, but I couldn't see how I brought that on myself. Another example is my wife's old friends who thought I was trying to be better than them because I didn't talk a lot and didn't do the things they did. I know now I am not better than anyone, and do my best not to make it seem like I feel that way, but back then I don't think I was aware of how I made people feel. So I definately was the type of person who was judgemental.

I'm not so judgemental anymore because it's pointless. However, I hold high standards for people. I used to work at Burger King with a lot of teenagers. They would do so many stupid things, and I would talk to them about life and how they could lead it smarter. At times I would frustrate them because I would work with them to try to think more of themselves and reach for more than their friends and town was showing them. But I truly believe that people can live their lives better and will support anyone who simply tries. I know we fail at this, but it's the act of trying that I value. I hold my high standards but do not criticize for failure. I think this is the only way I can live. Doing anything less than what is in your highest good is going to damage in some way, therefore I try to elevate people towards their highest good.

The hardest lesson I've been learning is how to admit to my own faults. I use stories from my past whenever I can to get a point across. I remind people I work with that I screw up too. I don't like people thinking I'm more than I am, because then it is a lie. It's hard to admit mistakes and faults, and I have a long way to go (for instance simply saying I was wrong is difficult) The great thing about this path is that I will keep trying and in the end I'll be the type of person I want to be. In the meantime I work at forgiving myself for mistakes and shortcomings and continue striving for my ultimate goal as an enlightened human being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|