Saturday, November 05, 2005

garbage stinks

I'm stinky, sweaty, and wet. But, Waller Creek is a heck of a lot cleaner than 3 2 hours ago! We only worked a small section, from the cooling building on san jac to dean keaton, which is only 2 blocks or less. In just the first half we took out a full large bag of garbage between myself and another guy down in the creek. Total we filled 4 or 5 bags. Mostly it's plastic bags, cans, cups, random articles of clothing (like socks), but also 2 sardines tins, which annoyed me. I mean, aren't sardines gross enough without then littering?!

I'm glad I wore cammies and my safety boots because I got dirty, digging around brush and very wet walking in the stream. But I didn't want to leave a big grocery bag there just because it was under a foot and a half of water. Ooh, I also made friends with a big 6 foot stick that was very functional, and also pretty. All the bark was stripped off. I wonder where it came from, because it didn't look like the branches nearby. Anyway.

I feel really good for doing this. For one, I was out in the fresh air for a while, and up quite early. And I did something tangible for the environment. Plus, I cleaned up the creek that I pass on the way to school every day. The poem I wrote about winter in texas (months ago) is about that creek. So I'm glad I could give a little back to the stream that gave me so much joy and inspiration. I'm definately going to do it next april. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|