Wednesday, November 02, 2005

blurring the lines of fiction and non

I read, a lot. And most books are fiction, which is fine. I learn all sorts of neat lessons, but to me it's not the same as non-fiction. What I learn in non-fiction seems to be more real, at least for me. While I know that truth can be found in many ways, and that fiction can tell truth just like non-fiction, I really hate when people blur that line. I was prepared to write about the latest book I read, which was just amazing. Then, I read a review that said parts of it were embellished or completely made up, which made me mad. I'm now sitting here feeling betrayed, because I took it as non-fiction, and then told others about it as such. I just feel foolish for believing it.

I know that fiction or not, the lesson is still important. But things I liked about this book were that is included some concrete examples and exercises to do. And now I'm left doubting everything, because I don't know what to try. I don't know what to believe, and I hate feeling like I've been lied to. At least in his other book it was made clear that parts were embelished for the story. There was no warning with this. Some will say I was foolish for believing...thank god I didn't start talking about this to people who would think that. It just makes it harder then. I hate feeling like I'm naive. I've always been trusting, and still am. And when people betray that trust, I just feel stupid.

I'm sure once I let this go I'll still be passing it along to others. But man...why do people keep doing this? Just tell the story, as it happened for once. Please. Or state explicitly that parts have been modified. For those of us who are trusting, if nothing else.

The book, by the way, is Emissary of Light by James Twyman. It's worth the read really. I just feel stupid right now. But up until 5 minutes ago, the book was just what I needed to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|