Tuesday, April 26, 2005

new ritual

I've decided that in memorium of my favorite band taking a hiatus, I will wear my Butchies wristband for the next 3 days. This brought up some really interesting questions in myself today. For instance, why do we as humans feel this need to create rituals when important things happen? For me in particular, why do I create a ritual for something that didn't have one before? Perhaps it is a throwback to ancient rituals, the memory of which are hidden deep in memory?

What I do know is I try to find ways to mark important important situations in my life. But, I don't want traditional rituals. I struggled to find a unique marriage ceremony before settling on something somewhat traditional because I just couldn't figure it out. It was probably just too important.

I'm sure there are many people who will think I'm quite silly for making a big deal about the butchies taking a hiatus. Honestly I'm a bit suprised how much it has affected me also, but it shows how important they were in my life. Music has always been something that affects me deeply. The Butchies were the first queercore band I listened too and I fell in love immediately. They're the band that I dropped everything for to see in concert. I drove many hours sometimes, braved a tornadic storm once!, because my life was never more fun than at a show. I was able to let go of all the crap going on in my life and just merge with the music. And yes, there will be other bands and other shows, but...the butchies were special. It's just hard to describe without experiencing them.

So I've created my own little ritual to honor the kickass band they are, and to allow me to work through the idea that I will probably never see them in concert again. Today I wore my shirt and wristband, but I got spagetti sauce on my shirt so it's just the wristband for the next 2 days lol! It's a good thing they don't care what I look like when I teach so I don't get in trouble. That has to look really wierd, a punk kid teaching physics! lol, it's hilarious!

The way I see it now, there is a gaping hole left in the music world that needs to be filled. I personally have no idea what band will fill that hole for me. Any recommendations? I need a queer punk/rock band! Guess I'll just have to create my own. Just need to find the right people and keep practicing my drums so I don't suck! oh well, enough ranting. Need to get ready for bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|