Thursday, January 20, 2005

thoughts on race and self-fulfillment

I'm currently reading The Celestine Vision by James Redfield, and came across an interesting section on the way home today. He discusses the idea that what we believe affects the world around us, which I understand. But for some reason, the way he discussed it caused me to think about race in our society.

There have been studies (or perhaps just observations, it wasn't clear) that show that if we have negative thoughts about a person, they pick up on these thoughts and act accordingly. I expanded this concept to a whole group, for instance Blacks, or Native Americans, or Mexicans, any group we hold down in America. For so long the idea that these people could only wallow on the lower ends of society has been the prevalent opinion, and for there part a majority did just that. And while these ideas have actually been voiced, even if they hadn't the same result would have occured I'm sure. The fact that a large number of people believe that minority groups are only able to accomplish very little in life creates that reality. It isn't until other people stand up and put their energy into the opposite, that people can raise themselves above the expectations of the world that true progress is made. Granted I know I'm speaking in generality, and there is always going to be a number of exceptions to generalities, but I hope I am being understood. For example, if you are walking down the street and people look at you differently, as if you are dangerous or could be dangerous, how would you react? Perhaps you'd ignore it or laugh it off if it were just one person occasionally. What if this happened almost every time you walked down the street? Eventually this treatment builds until you have to do something about it. Some people will rise above it, going out of their way to show they are not dangerous, and that they will not be the person others believe them to be. But another group of people will react the opposite and become what the other people fear. In all of these situations, words were not exchanged, but volumes were spoken.

As a personal example, I have to face situations daily when I have to go to the bathroom and other people are around. I never know if someone is going to see me and think I'm a boy, and thus creating either an embarassing situation or a confrontation. This creates some anxiety for me because I just want to go to the bathroom, not have to deal with a confrontation. This forces me into a decision every single time. Do I react by simply ignoring the person, by simply saying I'm a girl and moving on, or by making a scene, perhaps by lifting my shirt to prove my gender. All of these are viable options, and depending on my mood some are more attractive than others. Before you wonder too much, I've never lifted my shirt to prove anything, however it is tempting some days. What I've taken to recently is wearing a hoodie and putting the hood up so people can't see my hair. This tends to remove issues, though people look at me funny for wearing my hood up! Some people choose to deal with this situation by choosing to use the bathroom of their perceived gender rather than their actual gender. However this can be far more dangerous.

So what should a person do, conform to the ideas of those around them or continue acting in the way they always have? For me I have to maintain a strong sense of self to not let these situations adversely affect me. This is the key for any group that is oppressed. If you can maintain who you truly are, and keep that separate from what people perceive, you will be able to rise above whatever negativity heading your way. I believe this concept is being brought to the minorities, and we will continue to see improvement in equality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|